Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dawn Drama, Dawning Awareness, & the Rolling Stones



Yesterday morning the phone rang. It was one of those early morning calls that freeze the blood, especially if you have, like I do, a mom in frail health. I struggled to find the phone in the dark and push the right button to answer it. Hoping for a wrong number, I was startled instead to hear the voice of my oldest boy.


I had listened to him getting ready for work far earlier this morning; up at five to be on time for his construction job. As he roared off in his car, I blessed his journey and went back to sleep. Now, here he was not much above an hour later, on the phone. He was calling from the bathroom floor of the warehouse. He had blacked out and was now experiencing vertigo. Would I pick him up and take him to the hospital? Of course!

Sleep was thrown off, clothing was thrown on, maps were quested, coffee was ordered, and my husband and I were out the door and on our way. Rush hour traffic impeded our progress, and another hour went by before we had him in the car and on the way to the hospital.

Strangely, despite the drama of the situation, I had the prevailing sense that somehow this event was going to answer an unasked question. At once I felt a deep (and unusual) calm as we made our way through the darkness towards our ailing son. Sure enough, his eventual diagnoses explained some heretofore unexplainable symptoms he had manifested as a teenager, and the treatment given for his dizziness would solve the other problem as well.

The long and short of this story is that I’m learning to trust what happens. What seems like scary circumstances can often be the setup for solving deep-seated problems. The willingness to believe in a generous universe is all it takes to move us from uncertainty into confidence; that and the clear intention to see yourself as a powerful creator in your life rather than a victim of circumstance.

Or, as the Rolling Stones put it “You can’t always get what you want/but if you try some time/you just might find/you get what you need”.

Love, Kristine