Sunday, December 27, 2009

Enjoy What You Have

I was reading today about mediocrity.  This guy, Vince Stone, writes about our cultural obsession with being the best.  We go for the foam finger (We're Number ONE) and feel bad if we aren't "all we can be".  Nike encourages us to "just do it!" and we compete, compete, compete. 
It's exhausting, this pursuit of excellence.  And to what end?  Mostly, we feel frustrated and unhappy with the people we are, the people we have relationships with, the jobs we have, homes we live in, clothes we wear, food we eat, restaurants we go to, movies we watch, etc, etc.  He says that he supports being "mediocre".  He encourages us to "embrace your inner mediocrity".  Don't try to be better.  Be the person you are.
Vince Stone is a voice for contentment. 
Contentment. 
Sounds wonderful, doesn't it.  It's a word you don't hear too much.  "I'm content" seems like another way of saying "I'm resigned to the way things are".  It almost sounds like giving up.
It's not, though.  It's acceptance with who you are and more, it's a celebration of who you are.  "I'm Content" means "I wouldn't change a thing.  I like myself just as I am.  I like where I am, who I am, and who I'm with.  Maybe my life doesn't look like I thought it would, but it suits the person I am.  Changes will come, and I intend to be content with the changes, whatever they are. I believe that the changes that come are needful, and that I don't need to worry about them. I trust that whatever happens will be to my good. I'm content with my lot in life, for I believe there's a place for me, just as I am, in this world.  It must be so, or else I wouldn't be here.  Yet here I am, as I am.  What I am is enough."

"I'm Content" is the way to serenity, to the peace that passeth understanding.  Give up on striving to be a better person than anyone else, or striving to be a better person than you think you are right now.  Honor who you are in this moment. We need you to do just that: to accept yourself and love yourself.
Think of how wonderful a world of contented people would be.
Be one of them, and be content. 
Love, Kristine