Tuesday, April 6, 2010

THINKING ABOUT THINGS

Working as a freelancer, I feel the winds of financial change blowing cold at my back.  If I'm not careful, I could easily give into the fear of losing what I have and begin longing for the security that comes with having lots of money.  I wonder how I can increase the abundance in my life without losing the freedom I cherish.   Will having more mean I have to work harder? Abraham says action is not the answer. In order to create the abundance I seek I need to simply raise my vibration through positive thought.  That's hard work too.
Perhaps I should just trust life and see where this downturn leads me.
I pull the King of Pentacles from the deck.  Talk about perfect!  He is the king (literally) of material abundance.  I study his card and first see the richness of his life.
The King sits on a golden throne above an elegant city.  His garden is fecund and bursting with vegetation.  At his feet, and to his right and left in silver and gold, is the image of the ox, symbol of the hard, focused laborer who tirelessly plows his field day after day until the enevitable abundant harvest. 
Then I notice that the king's back is to the town.  Is he isolated in his wealth and power?  The ivy that grows so lushly on the wall behind him looks, due to the pattern on his kingly robe, as if vines are choking him. Does his wealth keep him where he is, limiting his freedom and flexibility?
Plus, he doesn't look happy.
We think that having lots of money will solve our problems and make us happy, but (old story) it doesn't.  I learned on the Life program (on the Discovery channel) that research shows it's the satisfying and meaningful quality of our interactions with others that makes us happy.
Knowing that money can't buy happiness, or even security, I asked myself what in the world I wanted.  Here's what I came up with:
I want myself, my family and, really, everyone, to live in comfort. By that I mean everyone gets a roof over their heads, enough to eat, meaningful employment, and satisfying social interactions. This sounds so simple, but so many don't have even these basic needs met, much less a decent health care system.
I think we live in a world where meeting these needs, for everyone, is possible. Why haven't we been able to do this so far?  Annie Leonard's "Story of Stuff" has an interesting answer to this question.
In the mean time, life for many of us in this economy is looking grim indeed.  It feels like one of those curves on an unfamiliar mountain road that hides what's coming up ahead. You have to trust that there's more road to come, but your heart is in your mouth a bit wondering what it will be like.  Are you driving off a cliff, or coming to your heart's desire?
Then I realize that, rich or poor, no one ever knows what's coming.  Better to enjoy what you have than worry about not having.  You can never predict what will happen, miracle or tragedy, so just live in the moment, don't worry, be happy.  Difficult?  Of course, but it's really the only sensible thing to do.  The message from the Universe today is "Live your life in eager expectation because a life filled with dread is no life at all."
Love, Kristine