Friday, February 12, 2010

How to Effectively Use Your Words

My attendence at a lovely evening tea (really, more like an elegant supper) took me beyond the time I usually walk my dog.  When I returned home, I rescued my eager pup and we set out on a late walk.  It was a lovely evening and  I welcomed the quiet night as an opportunity to think about my next blog.
It was dark, and I had forgotten my flashlight.  I noticed Pixie sniffing away at something in the grass.  I reached down to see what it was (gingerly, since you never know what a dog will find interesting) and my fingers touched something long and smooth.  Here's what I found:
It's a charming little magic wand that is also a pen!  I realized right away what the message from the Universe was
"Write about the creative power of words".
I don't think of myself as a Christian, now or ever, really, but I was raised as a one.  My folks kept changing churches, but always of Protestant denomination. (Wow, I just noticed that the word "Protest" is a big part of Protestants.  I guess that name got coined because Martin Luther was protesting against some of the Catholic interpretations of the bible)  Anyway, the folks moved through a number of sects, and, suffice it to say, I sat through quite a few sermons and Sunday schools as my folks searched for their spiritual home. 
Some of what I learned stuck to me like glue, for good or ill.  A few of the phrases and poems come back very strongly, like the Lords Prayer and the 23rd Psalm.  The Song Of Solemon was also a big favorite of mine. 
Among the things I remember is the phrase "In the beginning was the Word . . ."
As I live my life I'm beginning to realize how profoundly true that is.
Everytime we begin anything, our words define what ever it is and who we are in relation to it.  Sometimes our definitions are old constructs that no longer serve us. 
For example, as small children we might have been teased when we wore something different then the other kids to school.  That small fear may still be with us when we shop for clothing as adults.  Fear of rejection is the unconscious phrase that haunts us as we look for an outfit--with growing frustration.  How can we choose what is best for us when an old fear keeps getting in the way?
Well, we can use more positive input at the beginning of our search.  For example, we can imagine that we will find exactly outfit we need, and that when we try it on it will make us smile.  We can insist that what we find will feel good on our bodies, and that the colors and textures will be perfect for us.  We will assume that we will know it when we see it. 
You see, Instead of repeating old tapes that reflect past failures (I never know what to pick out, nothing looks good on me, no one likes the clothing I choose) we use our words to frame and create the outcome that we wish for: in this case to find an outfit that is perfect for us.
This is a small example.  I'm sure that you can find many others that would benifit from this approach. 
If you begin to work with this, it's essential to listen to your emotional guidence.  When you start to feel bad, that is a sure sign that whatever you are thinking about is an old , no longer useful mental tape.  Stop and ask yourself: "what am I assuming about this brand-new situation or person that is creating this bad feeling?" 
Remember that ALL situations and people, no matter how familiar they are to you, are brand-new at every fresh encounter.  You can force them into an old familiar pattern by repeating your outdated thoughts, or you can chose more productive and positive thoughts in order to create a different outcome.
With a little attention, patience, and consciousness, you can outwit your old negative self and create a life more in alignment with your dreams. Abracadabra!  It's just like magic.
Love and best wishes,
Kristne