Saturday, February 6, 2010

Lost Hearts on the Pathway Home

The messages from the Universe came thick and fast this morning.  I found them at various places along my walk. Like the trail of stones leading Hansel and Gretal home, I received hearts.
Seven of them.  A bit of love, one for each chakra. 
I like the colors too;  Green for healing, Yellow for happiness, Orange for originality. 
I read something interesting some time ago.  I wish I could remember where I read this.  All I know is that it was a book about raising girls.  I had just had my daughter, and was eager to learn all I could about helping my brand-new young female move through the world with confidence. 
This little factoid caught my attention:  It seems that young girls, after they get over their affair with pink and lavender and head for the pre-teens, love the color orange; but as they move into puberty they start to hate it.  
This is probably painting with too broad a brush, and times have changed, but I do remember feeling that way myself.  It was just as my body was changing, and I think I was looking for some sort of stable shelter in the confusing storm involved in growing up. I wanted to fit in with my peers, to feel at home with those who were experiencing the same things I was. Therefore, "original" was not what I wanted to be. 
I believe women are carefully taught that they need to please others to be accepted.  It's kind of their job.  We get fired if we do not please. Your body has to be a certain size and shape, your age: young, your hair and clothes a certain style. Any anger is considered very inappropriate.  We're allowed to be sad, but not angry.  Deviation from any of this invites derision and isolation.  Ouch! No home there.
Originality in a woman can get you shuned in this culture. And it's not just women who suffer. Men, too, suffer from ridged gender identity. They're taught to seperate from their feelings and to reject anything within themselves that might be perceived as a weakness.
Since I found the trail of seven hearts scattered on the road, I'm understanding that we all need to heal, in every aspect, from the damage our true selves experienced in trying to fit in with and adapt to the painful distortions we've been raised with.  We need to find our way back to our vital, original, orange-loving selves, our true home. 
Start by compassionately opening your heart to yourself and others. See through the unoriginal and often negative behaviour we all exhibit when trying to "fit In".  Discover what's really behind it all: the need to love and be loved. When we follow the wisdom of the heart, it will unfailingly lead us home.
Love, Kristine