Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ignorance Just Might BE bliss

This morning I had an interesting half awake/half dream experience. I imagined myself as the first human being on earth. I felt confused and overwhelmed. How could I survive?

Thinking about it later, I was amazed that a creature as fragile as a human being with very limited means was able to thrive in what I imagined to be an extremely harsh wilderness.

I realize that we have this amazing brain that is able to learn so many incredible things so quickly. That's, I'm sure, what helped us survive; but we did have to grow it and evolve into thinking, problem solving, tool using creatures. What did we do at the beginning?

I remembered how my kids learned. As babies, they were master scientists, trying and failing all sorts of things. Since they didn't know what was possible, they tried the impossible. If it didn't work, they didn't beat themselves up, call themselves stupid, and not try it again. They experimented with life, played with it, and let their interest be their guide.

They were smart, but they were also ignorant; and thank god for that! Their ignorance of other people's successes or failures, or their own limitations kept them searching, seeking, asking "why", and trying new things, unafraid of failure.

I think this is the "beginner's mind" that we hear about in martial arts and Buddhist philosophy. It's the mind that knows that it doesn't know, is not ashamed not to know, is eager to learn, and is patient with the process. It never gives up, gives everything a chance, and sees everything afresh. What bliss to begin each day with beginner's mind! What a blessing "ignorance" can be.

The only thing one needs to "know" is how bright and full of potential the world truly is. When we approach our life with beginner's mind, we don't worry. When you worry it means that you're making the assumption that the past and future are real and have impact on the present. They aren't, and they don't. The present just IS. Pay attention to only this. Ignore what's past, and ignore what hasn't happened yet. Be ignor-ant and live a bliss-full present!

Love, Kristine