Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Who is the Judge, and Who the Jury?

Yesterday a dog peed on my leg.  Really.  I was out at the park with the pack of people and dogs we see at the end of the day, and one of the new males came up to me as if he wanted a scratch on the back.  I was about to oblige when he lifted his leg and peed on mine.
It was embarrassing and funny.  I also found myself taking it personally.  Did this mean that this dog was feeling dominate over me, or did he just mistake me for a tree? Neither analysis felt very good.
I ruminated about this for a while when I realized that I was judging the situation poorly and, since my judgement didn't place me in a very good light with regard to my self image, I was racking my brain in an attempt to find a way to view the incident in a positive light, stewing over something minor that had taken place over two hours ago!
This reminded me of the story of the two Buddhist priests and the lady. It goes something like this:
Two priests were walking from one city to another when they encountered a lady in a beautiful silk kimono trying to cross a stream.  A recent rain had flooded the footpath, and she risked getting her lovely garment wet.  One of the priests offered to carry her across the stream.  She accepted, he lifted her up, and the two of them crossed together.  He put her down on the other side and she thanked him for his trouble. 
The two men continued their journey.  The priest who had not helped was mulling the incident over.  In their sect, they were not allowed to touch women.  He wondered how his comrade could break his vows.  He worried about it for several miles until he could not be silent a moment longer.  "Why", he cried "Did you carry that woman on your back?  What about your vows to our order?"
"Oh, "said his friend, "are you still thinking about that?  I stopped carrying that woman long ago."
Judging our actions, our lives, our friends, a dogs behaviour, everything, takes us out of the moment.  We forget to appreciate where we are, prefering to analyze actions and conversations long past. 
It's as if we're building a case for an imaginary court.  We're so concerned with being in the right that we try to justify everything we do. Why do we do this? Who are we appealing to?  Who is hearing our case and making that decision?  Who is our judge, and who our jury?
We are.  We are making our own selves miserable. Who else do we answer to?  No one and no thing has any moral authority over us.  We are completely responsible for how we feel about ourselves, our lives, and our companions.
Perhaps it's time to give up all our judgements and just let life happen.  Don't name or blame or be ashamed of anything, and put down whatever you're carrying that causes you pain.  Leave it all where it belongs; in the past.  Let's step out of our mental courtroom, release ourselves from the jail of our judgements, and travel the broad, open path of moment-to-moment connection. 
I think we'll be happier if we do.
Love, Kristine