Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A New Consciousness: Learning What I Like

I began this morning, this year, with the clear intention to just do what I want to do.
Figuring out what that is is a real adventure.

My first task on Tuesday and Thursday mornings is to wake up at 5:15 so I can make it to a Tai Chi class. I'm the assistant teacher. Do I want to wake up at 5:15? Well, no.
Let the tetter-totter reasoning begin!
I want to sleep/I'd miss Tai Chi;
I want to sleep/I really like my Tai Chi class;
I want to sleep/I'd miss the aerobics class that comes right after my Tai Chi that I also really like!

Ok, totaling all this nonsense up:

the not want to go reasons=1.
The want to go reasons=3.

I'm going.

So my decision is to make decisions like this all day long, all week long, as long as it takes so I can get really clear about what I really want to do, even if I have to do simple math in order to figure it out.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm really enjoying posting a blog. I can't wait to see what else I really enjoy today. I'm taking it one day, even one moment, at a time.

For you with clarity about what you like and don't like, this may seem like a really idiotic exercise. Well, I wish I were you. I've done so many things for the sake of duty, or approval, or because I felt I "should", that I completely lost track of the wonderful child-like feeling of waking up in the morning and anticipating a day of fun and adventure and knowing what to do to make it that way: a special game or friend or activity that makes one feel free, happy, and whole. I want to live that kind of life again!