Friday, October 9, 2009

The Magic of the Unasked Question

So, I left you last with a breathless account of my boy's good fortune, and here is the update:  He didn't get the part, and he may not be able to go to England either.  Why?  I don't know why.  He didn't have time to tell me and he said he'd call me later.  Sigh
.
My happy plans are dashed.  No trip to Seattle (yet) for me, and possibly no trip to England for him.  Oh, what to do, what to do.  Wailly, wailly, woe!

I was pondering the events when I realized I hadn't done my usual morning ritual of picking out the daily Angel Card.  Do you know about Angel Cards?  They're these little cards decorated with tiny angels doing cute things and they have words on them.  Being a firm believer in messages from the Universe, I like to pick one a day to capture a word it might serve me to contemplate. In my aggitated state, I picked up the jar the cards live in and dropped it.  They went all over my floor, all spread out like a tiny 52 pickup game. 
Except one card.  One card remained in the jar.  Here it is:


Yup.  Trust.  Immediately I felt better.  Even though I hadn't, in my mind, asked myself how I can feel good about what happened, my unasked question was anticipated and answered, and I remembered my fine words on my last blog, about how the best thing always happens, and how timing is everything, and how we can never see what lies ahead, and how the goal is to be optomistic and keep creating in a positive.direction.
It was with a better frame of mind that I went off on my walk with the dog. We headed to our favorite trail on the ridge.  At one point along our route I happened to glance up in the tree branches and I found this:


These pretty broken beads were hanging on the tree. They reminded me that there is great potential in the destruction (too strong a word) of "well-laid plans" and beautifully strung beads.  I think Robert Burns said, ah yes, here's the exact quote (thank you google):  “The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley" ...

Yes they do, and there is great potential in our "best laid schemes" getting unstrung.  There arises from the ashes (or tree branches) the raw material to create something new, possibly even better and more beautiful, and definately more in line with who we really are.  When our plans, dreams, or beads, get torn apart, it's not the time to despair; it's time to get creative with whats left to work with.

When I emptied out my pockets at the end of my walk I found this:

I must have gathered this little fellow up on another expedition, because he's been in my pocket for a while, but he knew to reveal himself when it was appropriate.  Sure, “The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley", but look how happy this little mouse is, full of eagerness to play with life.
He reminds me that it's pointless to use any circumstance as an excuse not to feel good.  He reminds me to be happy, and accept with trust what life gives you. I just might keep him in my pocket.
Love,
Kristine