Wednesday, October 28, 2009

One Dog's Tale

I was thinking about my blog today, as I often do when I take my morning walk.  I pondered what I was going to write about.  I hadn't formulated a question yet, and I've learned that well formulated questions often create the most concrete results when I'm looking for Messages from the Universe.  What I knew was that I have felt, lately, imprisoned by a mood.
Once I consulted an astrologist who told me that my chart was "shrouded by your father's pessimism".  That's how I've been feeling, like there's a subtle blanket of gloom over my happier nature, like clouds obscuring the sun. 
I've been working on shaking these feelings, but decided instead to just accept them, knowing they'd change, and see where that got me. This is day three of that attempt. I confess to being a little impatient with my slow progress.  I want that sunny day NOW.  I want change NOW.
Then I looked at my little dog Pixie, and I remembered her story.
I found Pix in an animal shelter in Pinole.  I had been looking for a dog to replace (if that's possible) a dearly beloved pet that had died some years back.  I had waited to feel eager about having a new dog in my life before I went out to look.  When that day came, I was also wanted to make certain I chose as perfect a dog as I could find for me and my family and my lifestyle. 
It was going on 6 months of searching when I saw a photo of Pix in the Pinole Shelter web site (lot's of great dogs there right now.  I just checked)
It was such a bad photo, blurry and unclear.  I wanted a small terrier, but had no idea if this photo depicted the dog of my dreams.  When I was looking, it seemed like everyone in the world also wanted a small terrier. I had missed out on several potential dogs before I spotted this one, so time was of the essense. Usually, when I found a dog on line that I liked (oh, I spent so much time dog-hunting in those months before finding Pix) I would go right out and look at it before someone else snatched it up.

I took the chance of waiting a few days, thinking that if this was the right dog for me, she would be there when I eventually got to Pinole.  I waited until the weekend and made the Pinole shelter stop numero uno in my long list of stops on my quest to find my dog.
I have often said to the Universe "any advice you have to give me, give me in BLOCK LETTERS.  I'm bad at subtle hints".  The Universe has been very obliging.
When I finally got to Pinole, she was still there and as adorable as she could be.  To top it off, in block letters, the shelter vet had written "THIS IS AN AWESOME DOG, LOVING AND SWEET".
I adopted her then and there. 
I think now that her acceptance of what is, her confidence in herself, and her loving nature brought her to me.  She sat in her cage patiently waiting for whatever was going to happen, not barking or distressed in any way.  Her initial "getting to know you" meeting with us showed us how easily and naturally she gave love.  Now she's with us, and every day I thank the universal forces that brought her to me. 
I see the lesson Pixie has for me.
Accept what is, no matter what kind of prison you're in, mental, physical or emotional.
Give love freely.  Don't let your situation prevent you from giving what you can.
Whatever gifts you give will be returned to you.
Pix was in prison:



Now she's free:

All it took was a little patience.
Be patient with yourself. And give love. That's what I'm going to do, and we'll be certain to find freedom.
Thanx Pix!

Love, Kristine