Sunday, May 8, 2011

Changes

I've decided to use this blog as a way to discipline myself.  Sounds vaguely masochistic, I know, so to avoid any salacious interpretations I'll tell you exactly what I mean by that.

When I was writing "Messages from the Universe" it was a game that soon became an exciting way to connect with the world around me.  I learned to see things with fresh eyes and fresh perspectives, to look at ordinary objects and fill them with extraordinary meaning, and to re-connect with the feeling I always had as a child that the Universe was talking to me--to all of us, really-- and all I/we had to do was to LISTEN.  Had we the ears to hear I/we would begin to comprehend this world as one of profound purpose and crystal clarity. 

"Messages from the Universe" gave me symbols of guidance when I needed them, a laugh when I needed that, and patience--especially when no messages showed up-- when I needed that.  I learned that everything means something when looked at in just the right way.  I may not see the profound purpose and crystal clarity that I believe exists in the world, but the game taught me that it's there whether I can see it or not.  That was no small comfort.

I've decided now to change my focus a little.  Instead of waiting for messages to show up, I've decided to actively pursue ones of a certain kind.  I'm going to look for something beautiful every day and, when I've found it, I'll put it up here for you to enjoy as well.

My first attempt is this photo of a gate I saw in a neighborhood in Oakland. I just happened to be passing by, and it stunned me.  The stained glass in the openings and on the lintel, the shape of it, the color of the wood. . .  It was such an unexpected treat, and a "Message from the Universe" too.  What it said to me is that beauty often happens when you least expect it, and the gate as symbol? Well, that's just too perfect.

I believe this new emphasis on beauty will be a gateway towards more enjoyment in life.

How?  First, I'm determined to practice my art.  I'm certain that the pursuit of beauty will put me in the right frame of mind to do just that.  After all, if I have to find, record, and post something beautiful every day I'll develop a better and more creative eye as I search.  Plus doing something creative on a daily basis is the perfect way to develop the artistic habit of, well, doing art.  I may not always succeed, but the quest will keep me succeeding more often than not, and putting my intentions out in public like this is further inducement to keeping myself on the program.

Second, searching for beauty in everyday life is a way of appreciating the world more deeply.  Doing the "Messages from the Universe" game convinced me that when you look for something, you tend to find it.  I'm going to focus my attention on the beauty that I know exists around me every day, and I know, even with all the trouble in the world, if I keep looking for the beauty, I will find it.  I'll find it in each and every situation, no matter dismal or upsetting.  Whether beauty lies in an object, a phrase, an interpretation, a lesson, a person, place or thing, beauty, like truth, will out, and I'm determined to see it.

Seeing life's everyday beauty has got to change you. I'm ready. It's an experiment worth trying.

Love,
Kristine